Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Oh Goodness!

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I have no affiliation with the item or seller.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Altec-A-7-803A...QQcmdZViewItem

    Anybody wanna guess the final bid?

    I'm wondering if "no paypal" will keep the bids down as it's getting difficult to do international transactions without paypal these days.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If I recall those horns on top seem to go for quite a pretty penny.


    Nice set though, wish I was closer hehehe.


    -chris

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Those cabinets don't look like A7's to me. The proportions do not look correct. He says they are 1947. I thought the A7 was a product of the 50's. Is that perhaps an A5?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The 8.2 ohm DCR's for the voice coils are interesting, sounds like 12 ohm drivers?

    Dave

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Cal Weldon:
    Those cabinets don't look like A7's to me. The proportions do not look correct. He says they are 1947. I thought the A7 was a product of the 50's. Is that perhaps an A5?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The later A5 and A7 use the same 825/828 cabinets. The main difference is the A5 uses large format HF horns and drivers.

    The auction is is for the earlier Altec 800. I sent him a message telling him this. He hasn't responded to me.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That makes sense. Thanks for the update AbG. I always wondered what the difference was between the A5 and A7.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    More cabinets are visible in the photos. Also, check out the sellers other items. Pity about the exchange rate - I'll just have to be a window shopper.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The seller pulled the auction at the last minute. Either he struck a deal off ebay, or he thinks they are worth more than the $5000 bid he canceled.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Seller's actions aside, that's kinda rare stuff.

    Doubly rare to find in such a nicely matched pair, dig those stamped steel basket 803A's. forums

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bowtie427ss:
    Seller's actions aside, that's kinda rare stuff.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I agree. I've seen singles on Ebay before, but never a pair, and not in such nice shape. I wish he would have corrected the auction to call them 800's instead of A7's. We don't need more fuel to the fire for people thinking that a set of A7's is worth thousands. It may not matter though since this auction didn't end with a buyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.